|I'm embarrassed to be showing you store butter instead of homemade! The|
molasses is Golden Barrel brand, which I've been using for years. It's "real",
i.e. from cane sugar and unsulfured, plus the price is unbeatable ($7.99/gal)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses (black treacle) *see recipe notes
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup boiling water
|I also love my Polish dough whisk. It's my favorite mixing tool!|
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and molasses, beat thoroughly. Sift together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with boiling water. Bake in greased, floured 8"x8" baking pan at 350° F for 35 - 45 minutes.
- Blackstrap is a strong flavored molasses, but you can mix it with lighter molasses or even honey. If you're uncertain about it try 1 tablespoon to start.
- For non-baking powder leavening power, the chemical reaction is between the molasses (acidic) and baking soda (alkaline). The cake is very light and tender.
- Molasses is the waste product of the sugar refining process, both cane and sugar beets. Commercial sugar beets are genetically modified and the two molasses types are very different.
- Molasses is rich in calcium, iron, and carbohydrates.
- Blackstrap molasses contains the above plus folate & other B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, manganese, and copper.
|Served with goat milk whipped cream. |
We also love it with applesauce or apple butter.
Blackstrap molasses is a must-have for goat owners as well. A couple of tablespoons is commonly mixed in a gallon of warm water for does after they kid. They appreciate the extra energy.
- Blackstrap Molasses - Wikipedia
- What You Should Know About Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses - Natural News
- Frequently Asked Questions About Golden Barrel Molasses - Golden Barrel
Blackstrap Gingerbread © December 2014