February 1, 2023

A Doeling For Sky

She arrived Monday afternoon around 5 p.m. Thankfully, it was a warm day! Sky was so big we expected more than one, but this little girl was it.

She's big for a newborn! She was conceived the same day as River's twins, but had close to a week more gestation to grow. 

Here she is the next day.

She'll have River's twins as playmates, which is always nice for singles. Once she's consistently steady on her feet, I'll let her and Sky out of the kidding pen.

Kidding Round 1 is a wrap! Two doelings and one buckling; not a bad start. Kidding Round 2 is expected sometime in March.

January 29, 2023

Garden Notes: January 2023


  • 3rd-4th: 3.2"
  • 8th: 0.5" 
  • 12th: 0.65"
  • 17th: 0.75"
  • 18th: 0.3"
  • 22nd 1.2"
  • 25th: 1.6"
  • 29th: 0.3"
  • Total: 8.5 inches
  • range of nighttime lows: 22 to 57°F (-5 to 14°C)
  • range of daytime high: 42 to 68°F (5 to 20°C)

Not much to report garden-wise this month. We lost our winter garden during the December winter kill, and it's been too cold, windy, or rainy to do much outdoors. But the daffodils are blooming, and that's a happy sight.

With all the rain and cold temps, the ground's too wet to work on swales and swale beds. My garden project on nice days has been to finish bed clean-up and mulching. I'm working on re-mulching some of the aisles too. 

The beds are mulched with leaves and the aisles are scraped with a shovel. Then I put down a layer of cardboard and top with woodchips. That will last for about two years, until the weeds start popping through. Then I scrape up the decomposing wood chips, mix them with compost, and spread them in a vacant garden bed to age a bit more.

Next month, I'll sort through my seeds and make a garden plan. 

Anyone have anything going on in their garden?

January 25, 2023

Kidding Has Commenced!

River's due date was January 24th, so I'd been on kidding watch for the past four or five days. On Monday morning, the 23rd, she stayed back in the barn while the others went out to pasture. Not much was going on by lunchtime, so I thought I had some time and put her in the kidding pen. I went in to make lunch, came back about an hour later, and found this!

So, I missed it! The black is a little buck and the spotted is a little doe.

Yes, he's quite a bit bigger and heavier than she is.

I'm thinking that the buck came first because River was cleaning him off when I got there whereas the little doe was still covered in birth membranes. It was sunny but chilly so I helped dry them off. They were up on their feet in no time. Then came the business of finding that first meal.

I usually try to help with this, but goats are stubborn from the git-go! Even when you rub their little noses on a teat they clamp their mouths shut and push away with all their might. Sheesh. 

Here they are the next day, dried off and sporting their little sweaters.

River and her twins

Little buck

Little doe

All of this was much earlier than I planned, but we had a buck breakout last August and we weren't able to get the bucks back before they'd done the deed. The other doe was Sky, who is due any minute now too. The amazing thing is, they were bred by the bucks I intended to put them with anyway!