|Studio windows on the left, dining room window on the right.|
We've done nothing to this side of the house yet, having put all our efforts into the kitchen and addition, bedroom and bathroom, and front porch. We figured it would probably be a good idea to tend to the windows and exterior of the house before getting that tank in.
And so it began. Could it really be as easy as simply replacing the windows and putting up the new siding?
|Old windows removed (chimney on the left)|
|New window framed out and installed|
Then we did what we should have done first, remove the rest of the siding. Here's what we discovered.
|A rotted rim joist/sill beam|
|Rotted ceiling girder|
Obviously there had been a leak at one time where the chimney was. Now what?
Properly, it seemed as though the whole room should have been torn down and rebuilt from scratch. Since that was financially impossible, we had to look for alternatives. Dan spent quite a few hours searching YouTube and finally found some "This Old House" videos showing how to repair similar problems.
|The sill beam was a doubled 2x8, with only the outer part being rotted.|
Dan cut it back to solid wood and replaced that section.
|The wooden beams were sitting directly on the brick, which didn't help.|
Dan put a steel plate to keep the beam & post from sitting on the bricks.
Dan made a new post for the corner with doubled 2x4s. The post was placed directly on the plate. For the ceiling he managed to cut back that rotted to solid wood and replace the section.
|Before installing the post (of which I didn't get a photo)|
Here's what the repairs looked like on the inside after the sheathing was up.
|Ceiling corner after repair|
|Floor corner after repair|
And here's where it stands now.
The next step will be the siding, trims, and paint.