This is one of those things that anyone who has done remodeling or home repair will understand. Our current project is straightforward enough, we're finally starting our kitchen remodel, and one of the things we need to do (while the weather is still nice), is replace a window with broken casing and a cracked pane.
So. The first step is to tear out some old built in cabinets next to the window. We knew the wall paint was hiding previous water damage under this window, likely from improper installation....
|Rain water damaged kitchen wall. Notice you can|
see outside through the hole under the window?
So. The wall must be torn down and and replaced. If we have to do that, we might as well put in a bigger window. Unfortunately it turns out the rim joist under the window is also rotted out ....
|Rotted floor joist|
So. We must repair the joist, rebuild the wall, and then we can install the new window. We get to work.
So. That done, we now need to protect the new exterior from possible rain damage. We choose a barn board look panel siding, figuring we'll at least get that rebuilt corner covered ....
|Starting to put the new panels up|
So. Since relocating the electric meter is the next project on the list, Dan points out that we might as well install the meter box on top of the new siding panels, rather than later cutting a panel to fit around it.
So. If we're going to do that, it only makes sense to continue siding from the new window, around to where the meter box will be installed. The old plank siding on the back isn't looking so good these days anyway.
And, while we're in at it, we might as well do the porch wall Dan had to rebuild (which also had a rotten rim joist), when we installed the new porch backdoor .
So. Once we get a few panels up, I start priming. The new siding needs to be protected and I figure primer should do for now. One of these days we'll finish the rest of the house and then I can paint the whole thing.
|1st wall of new siding all primed|
Oops. I learn that primer doesn't protect the wood and must be painted within thirty days. That means I have to paint both the siding and the trim. Sigh. And while I'm at it, I might as well paint the new back door as well. I go buy paint.
So you see, replacing that kitchen window meant we had to paint the house! Here's what we've gotten done so far...
|Back door, siding, and trim all painted from both rebuilt walls.....|
|..... around to where the new electric meter is installed.|
This is our stopping point for now. I have to say that the blue in these photos isn't entirely accurate. The blue in the first photo (paint can) is closest. This is basically the same color scheme I chose two years ago, when we had the roof replaced. I liked it then and am delighted with it now. We still plan to add brick red shutters, eventually.
The old white vinyl siding has a few cracks and holes in it, and covers the original wood plank siding, which is in very bad shape. With winter on the way, finishing the rest of the house will just have to wait. Besides, it's time to get back to work on the kitchen!
I admit I have some reservations about doing it in sections like this. I am concerned about things like whether the siding we chose will still be available in the future, and paint color matching; but under the circumstances, I'm not sure we could have done anything differently, except cover the house in tarps!
So. It seems like a very long detour from our original project, but I am very thankful to now have a sturdy, well built, well insulated wall and window in that kitchen corner. It was a frigid spot our first two winters. Plus I enjoy seeing our house with a new fresh, colorful face. All in all, I think things worked out pretty well.