|Everything is homestead except the flour, soda, and salt.|
Layer in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish:
- leftover homegrown chicken in bitesize pieces
- homegrown frozen spring garden peas, thawed
- home canned carrots, drained
- 2 tbsps schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 C. canned chicken bone broth
Lightly brown the flour in melted fat. Slowly add the broth & whisk out lumps. Stir till thick and pour over chicken and veggies.
- 1.5 C. flour
- 1/3 C. schmaltz
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 C. whey
Cut fat into flour, salt, & soda. Add whey & mix with a fork. Drop onto hot gravy, chicken & veggies. Bake in a hot oven (about 400° F/200° C) for 15 minutes or until biscuits are brown and gravy is bubbling. Serve.
Homestead Chicken Pie © January 2014 by