|We started with the roof, 1st snapping a chalk line and cutting it in half|
|We balanced it on the wheelbarrow and hand truck to move it.|
|But the fence was in the way|
|T-post puller, a very handy tool for brace posts too|
|No fence is okay because the goats are all elsewhere until|
the newly planted pasture seed gets a chance to grow.
|Now to get it up there|
|The proper tool would have been a block & tackle plus either on overhead|
tree branch or a tripod. We had neither and so used a come-along.
|At this point Dan built a ledger across the top of the|
shed doorway. The roof is still tied onto the tree.
|Also we realized that the roof section did not need to be so long. Dan cut|
it down from 14 feet to 10 feet, making it quite a bit more manageable.
|4 feet shorter and easier to manage|
|We reused the posts and header to support the roof once again.|
|I think this is where I'm supposed to say, "Do not try this at home!"|
|First half up|
The next day we got the second half of the roof up.
|We decided to put this one up from the side instead of the front.|
|Once we got it up, all we had to do was push it over.|
|Goat stall door on the right, milking room is center, feed & hay storage on left|
The last thing we did was cover it with a tarp because it had a few leaky places. The shed roof was covered with a tarp almost five years ago, although it probably should be replaced. The one thing left to do will be to put the fence and gate back up.
I am extremely happy with this improvement. Before when it rained, the ground outside the goat stall door became horribly muddy. The roof will keep the area dry, keep rain from blowing in, and give the girls more loafing room, especially when one or both stalls are occupied during kidding. The roof covers the door to the milking room too, another plus. It should serve us well until we can get the real goat barn built.
For Phase 2, click here.