Fencing part of the woods for my does has been a project we actually started on about a year ago. I started last January, clearing a path for the fence through the brush, but that's as far as we got. Last month, we were able to pick the project up again. The next step was to do clear away a clump of falling trees which leaned precariously over where the new fence would go.
|6 trees caught up in each other, right over where the fence will go.|
This is where we left the project one year ago.
|Removing the trees both cleared a|
path for the fence and the view.
The next step was corner and bracing posts. The first one worked off of an existing fence.
|Dan decided to concrete the posts since he had the mix.|
A snoopy goat (Surprise) is very curious about what he's doing.
|A gate to the rest of the property will go in where he cleared away the trees.|
|Our red southern soil is clay. That means it's heavy as |
all get-out when it's wet, hard as a rock when it's dry.
|Our project deterrent has been rain and mud. You probably can't tell in the |
photo but there's a huge mud puddle right where the gate should go.
The next step will be the t-posts. If we don't get any more rain over the next several days, they can go in. We bought the welded wire fencing for the project last year, that's next, but the ground needs to be dry enough so that the t-posts aren't loosened when the fence is stretched. Lastly is a gate, of course, although we may simply run fence across the opening for now. Then the girls can have their new browse.
The Ongoing Job of Fencing © January 2014