What you see above was originally two closets, one for each of our two adjacent bedrooms. You can see how we opened all that up in this post, "Rain + Rain + Rain = A Start on the Bedroom." The plan is to turn the space into his and hers closets.
Our ceilings are tall, 8'9", and all the upper space was wasted in the original closets. Since our closets don't need to be that tall, we thought we could divide the space and use the upper part for storage.
|Before - open to the original ceiling.|
|With a full length shelf added for a new closet "ceiling"|
Dan created the upper storage shelf from the old cabinet shelves and doors torn out during our kitchen remodel.
|New storage space, freshly painted.|
And did you notice our new ceiling beams? Finishing the ceiling is next on the list. More on that soon.
The last step was to add doors. We discussed hinged versus bypass but had trouble finding the right size tracks for bypass. We finally found them as a kit at Complete Cabinet Hardware in the size we needed. They were reasonably priced too.
|With sliding door tracks installed|
Dan made the doors out of leftover plywood from our Victorian look paneled window wall.
|Storage compartment done and progress made on painting the walls.|
Shelving, clothing rods, and bypass doors will compete the closets.
We lost the linen closet when we made Dan's study, so this will give me a place to store things like extra blankets and bed linens or off season clothing. Even though I'll need a ladder to get to it, I think it's a better use of the space than leaving it open. At first, I thought I'd love to have a library ladder. Pricing them burst that bubble.
So, we have the closets and ceiling to finish, then the floor. It's exciting to think we're almost done.
Click here for Bedroom Closets Phase 2
Bedroom Remodel: Starting On The Closets © November 2013