Dan had set it up for his workshop but it didn't get very good rain protection so we tarped it. It looks kinda junky, but we've been so busy with other things that we stopped noticing. Last weekend we were doing some general clean-up in the yard and got to talking about the tarp on the carport. That tarp is getting torn and worn and it seemed as though it would be a fairly quick job to replace it with some plywood, add battens like we did on the chicken coop and Little Barn, and paint it to match the other outbuildings. Couldn't take more than half a day, could it?
When Dan took down the tarp and pulled off the fascia board we discovered that double beam on that side of the roof was in very bad shape.
This is likely happened because whomever built the carport didn't overhang the roof more than about an inch. There was no flashing, so rain was able to blow in under the roof. Dan could also see where the roof was leaking. We figure the plywood ceiling is the only thing holding the carport together.
In the end we decided to put the tarp back and leave it be. Hopefully it will last long enough for us to finish our outbuilding projects (one more to go) and then we'll just tear it down. I'd kind of like to use the space for an outdoor kitchen, but we'll see.
We've managed to salvage quite a few things on our place, but sometimes things just aren't salvageable.
A Project Never Mind © April 2017 by