Of course, now's a fine time to realize that I don't have a proper "before" photo. This one was taken last November, right after Dan finished the new porch floor.
|Dan had removed the screen door when he replaced the porch floor.|
This second front porch door accessed the "sun room", which became my studio.
|The room that was to become my studio after we moved in|
Since there was no wall space in this room, the door ended up being covered with shelves and storage units. Of the door itself, it was ill-fitting and allowed for wind to blow through. When we discussed what to do with this door during our porch brain-storming sessions, I decided I didn't need it. We did discuss replacing it with a window, but finances and the need for wall space ruled that out.
|I decided I didn't need the door.|
After Dan removed the door he ran a stud down the middle of the opening and covered it with particle board. Here it is from the inside.
|I was working in the garden that day, so I did|
a poor job of photographing the progress.
The challenge was that the exterior trim on that door wasn't flush with the siding.
|On the right, you can see that the old door trim isn't flush with the wall.|
The door trim jutted out just an eight of an inch, so Dan made his own furring strips to make up the difference. Our siding went on top of that.
|Also you can see that we finally got the porch floor painted.|
My job will be to get it primed and painted. We'll finish the rest of the wall plus the trims when we replace the front window in the studio.
Lastly some insulation was added.
That's as far as we'll take it for now. It was an afternoon project that is another step toward a snugger house.