|A team of Dutch Drafts. This is the breed Dan has been admiring.|
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
There are a few problems with fulfilling this particular dream, however.
- cost of horses
- cost of tack
- availablity of horse drawn equipment
- cost of horse drawn equipment
- cost of feed
- availability of non-GMO feed (or rather lack of)
- housing (bigger barn or we'd have to kick out the goats)
- land (we've only about 2 acres in pasture/forage which is also utilized by the chickens and goats)
- zero experience with horses
- zero experience with horse drawn equipment
There are lots of good resources on the subject out there, such as Small Farmer's Journal and books like Farming with Horses and Work Horse Handbook. And there are certainly apprenticeships and hands-on classes to gain a working knowledge, although none anywhere near us. Even so, in the end it all boils down to our piggy bank, which usually houses more moths than cash. Still, it's a wonderful dream and I wish I could make it come true for him.
If My Beloved Had His Druthers © February 2014