We're making progress on the Little Barn! After Dan built the wall to separate the goats from the milking area, the next step was to put down a floor.
|First Dan framed out the area with 4x4s and leveled the ground.|
|The floor itself is made of pavers.|
|It measures 7 feet by 12 feet and only took a couple of hours to make.|
Properly, the pavers should have been installed on sand, but we just used the existing dirt. There's still a little settling going on, but it's easy to sweep and looks nice, I think.
Finishing touches were the cabinet and milking stand.
|Jessie helping show off my new milking room. Access to hay is|
through the door at the back, where my old milking room used to be.
Dan wants to get the exterior walls up before winter, so he's been busy getting started on that. I have two tasks: one, to find all my goat stuff in the house and organize it in the milking room cabinet. The second is to get the feed room organized.
|Little Barn floorplan (except|
pretend the walls are squared up)
The feed cans will be set up behind the cabinet for easy filling of feeders. I'm also envisioning a work table and drying racks in that part of the barn.
I am so happy with this set-up. It's taken awhile to get to, and I've tried to be content and not complain during my years of making-do. Those of you choosing the homesteading lifestyle know how much there is to do and how long it takes to get everything in a workable configuration. The wait wasn't all bad, however, and the problems I had helped shape our design. I can honestly say my new milking room was worth waiting for.
My New Milking Room © September 2016