|How the kitchen looked before we got started.|
We had already torn out the cabinets and shelving, so what we'd been living with since February, was this...
|The back door & post, as we last left it|
|A hammer and chisel did the trick|
This was super easy, because the thinset was old, cracked, and hadn't adhered well to the wood floor.
It was interesting to see what was underneath the tile.
|The yellow arrows point to where an old door frame stood|
You can see on the floor, where walls used to be. A wall once existed where the edge of the tiles now is, on the right side of the photo. The yellow arrows point to where a door used to be framed out. My guess is that this was a once-upon-a-time pantry, which would have made the original kitchen a square of 11.5 x 11.5 feet. I can understand why they'd want it bigger. Tearing out that old pantry enlarged the kitchen from 132 square feet, to over 173 square feet. Quite a bit more room, but since one of those walls was load bearing, the post was left as both functional as well as a "decorative" feature. It did look kinda neat, but boy was it ever in the way.
After I got the ceramic tile up, it looked like this....
|Ceramic floor tiles removed to expose a|
hardwood floor underneath.
That's a tongue-and-groove hardwood floor underneath, but it's the only floor. There is no subfloor. In fact, where the wall used to be, you can see down into the crawl space, because the walls were built on floor beams instead of a subfloor.
The next step was to take down all the trim that covered the post and the original ceiling beam.
|The original support post beneath the white trim|
I don't know how well you can tell in the photo below, but the original ceiling beam turned out to be two, 2x4s spiked together.
|Ceiling beam made of 2, 2x4s|
That's attic insulation poking down from above
Dan decided he would remove the original beam's bottom 2x4, and leave the top one in place. The new beam will fit up against that one.
The new beam is the one Dan cut from one of our fallen pines with his mini-mill...
|New ceiling beam, ready to be stained|
We were concerned about drying time for the beam, until we realized there was no sap in it. Unusual for pine. It was cut from a tree that had been dead for some time. It had fallen, but instead of landing on the ground, it got hung up in the neighboring trees. Because of that, ground moisture hadn't rotted it, and it had cured on it's own. Dan cut it to size, then sanded and stained it.
Before we could remove the old post however, the ceiling had to be supported first.
|Temporary support posts|
Dan used two fence posts to do this, placing them next to the original ceiling beam. The sheet was to keep at least some of the dust out of the rest of the kitchen. It did help actually.
He wanted to check the beam length, to make sure it was cut correctly, so he nailed two temporary 2x4 supports to the wall posts. You can see them against the walls in the photo below. We then rested the new beam on these.
|Testing the fit of the new beam. Perfect.|
It fit perfectly! Not that we planned it otherwise, but sometimes mistakes do happen ;)
At that point it was not bearing any of the load, so the temporary support posts were left in place (they are actually behind the new beam in the above photo). We left it there for several days, to adjust to the house temperature and humidity. In the meantime, Dan worked on the permanent support posts. More on that in the next post, Kitchen Remodel: Beam Up, Post Down, Part 2.
Kitchen Remodel: Beam Up, Post Down, Part 1 © August 2011 by Leigh at http://my5acredream.blogspot.com/