The day to purchase the almost 900 feet of welded wire fencing we need for the goat field. It rained all winter and the ground was too wet to put in fence posts. Last month it finally dried out and we made good progress then.
We got all the h-braces completed and t-posts in.
We also finished bracing all the corners. This is an odd shaped field (see field #1 on our Master Plan), which meant we had six corners to set and brace. We will also end up putting in five gates. This is not only for access to the field itself, but other parts of the property.
This area is by far the most complicated to fence. Field #2 on the other hand, has four corners and will need only three gates. For it, the back side will use the fence for field #1, so it should go more quickly. After that, we want to fence the back of the property, the woods, which is shaped like a triangle. The challenge back there will be areas where trees are down along the property line, and have to be cleaned up first. The terrain is a little rougher back there as well.
Dan is hoping we'll have the fence up and ready by the end of the month. That would be great because the field is becoming quite a jungle. We either need to get it grazed down, or we need to have it brush hogged. The first option is our first choice!
Text & photos of Goat Fence: The Home Stretch copyright