The first thing we had to do something about was the roost.
|"Tree" roost right after it was built.|
I love the idea of the tree roost, but in reality it didn't turn out to be very practical. For one thing, some of the less intelligent birds had a hard time figuring out how to get up and down. For another, since the bars were permanently placed, it was difficult to clean out under. We decided to go back to a conventional style roost with removable roosting bars.
|(Notice the peeling whitewash? A new coating is on my to-do list)|
That left better room for a brooding pen for the baby chicks.
|My baby Australorp chicks|
All was well for the first couple of days. Then one morning I discovered three chicks were missing. After our last incident of disappearing chicks, we were pretty sure it was rats. I beefed up security, added screens over the top, and Dan set up the animal trap. So far so good.
|Hopefully this is rat-proof. The window screens add a "roof" to the pen.|
I feel kinda bad for these little guys with no mama.
|We currently have 14 chicks|
Not that she could protect them from predators, but because there is no one to teach them about finding food and to fuss over them the way mama hens do. I believe that everything that is intended to have a mother ought to have one. Fortunately, none of the hens is hostile toward the invaders in their coop. A rooster might have something to say about it, but we have no rooster at the moment except for the little up and comers. Hopefully they'll all make it.
Baby Chickens Report © May 2015